The Aim's of the Society
- To safeguard and perpetuate the traditions associated with the recreational long-bow.
- To provide opportunities for members to shoot in the traditional two-way style, at English Target and Clout Rounds, in a pleasant and relaxed manner for the Society’s Awards and Medals and for private practice in the long-bow at target and clout.
- To encourage the Craft and Skills associated with traditional Bowyery and Fletching.
The British Longbow Society (BL-BS) was founded in 1951 for the specific purpose of perpetuating the traditions associated with the recreational long-bow: that is the pursuit of excellence whilst shooting in the old, two way style; with bows made from nearly as practicable in the 19th century manner; at English target and clout rounds in a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. The society also encourages the craft and skills associated with traditional bowyery and fletching.
- “Archers, being Ladies and Gentleman, at all times conduct themselves in a seemly and sober fashion; their attire also being of a moderate and decent appearance, as befits the traditions and dignity of the Long-Bow.”,
- ,“Being considerate of each other, Archers make no disturbance which may upset another in the making of a shot. Not even a finger is laid upon another’s equipment without express permission; and the offer is made at once to pay for, or replace, any arrow belonging to another, which may have been broken or become damaged in consequence of one’s action.”
- “Equally, being mindful of their Target Captains duties, they take care that, before going beyond the target for the purpose of recovering arrows, they firstly declare their score in a clear manner. (NB: Arrows lying short of the target should be recovered before scoring commences).